I came across a pretty cool editorial titled, Drinking Age of 21 Doesn't Work, I wonder what their opinion is on underage drinking? John McCardell simply thinks that we're uneducated. Which we are. How many people under 21 can state the legal limit at which you should be for a breathalyzer? How many over 21 can tell you? A better question would be; how many people under 21 can tell how many beers they can have until they're tipsy? How many people over 21?
Education is serious for teenagers and throughout adulthood. John McCardell talked about an education course for which people would have to take to be able to drink instead of an age restriction. I think that that's a great idea. I grew up with parents who enjoyed an occasional alcoholic beverage. As I grew up with them the informed me of the things that could happen with alcohol, the dangerous affects it has on people and their perceived surroundings. My parents trusted me to make the right decisions while also being under their care. I was allowed to try their drinks and in turn I got to have one of my own every now and then. Once I was able to handle it and feel the effects I was able to understand when I'm tipsy and my judgments might be off. They informed me to always have a designated driver and that if I didn't then don't drink. Be responsible and know what can happen.
Teenagers know what might happen these days but do they really understand? No, I don't think so. Just like I don't think that people who turn 21 understand what alcohol can do to them. 21 is just an age at which they know they can try every alcoholic beverage in the bar and it's legal to drink them. Did they think about their way home? Did they think that the alcohol wouldn't affect them and they'd be okay to drive?
Educate. Many people in this world are not educated on the simplest things even though it's assumed that they know everything. Billboards and commercial promote safety but nothing on the true education of drinking.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Hidden bodies get tossed here, add one of your own.